I have a blog that I never published that detailed how I am using the HP Scripting Toolkit 10.04 (STK – a bootable SUSE image) to run hpsum in an ‘offline’ mode. Basically I would boot from the HP Scripting Toolkit environment, mount a nfs share that had the SPP, copy it locally and then run hpsum.
This has worked fine for a few years (last SPP I tried was the September SPP I believe) but I recently tried the June SPP and ran into some issues.
First issue was that the SPP does a space check on the /tmp directory. The STK loads up into ram, but some of it is rootfs and some ramfs. The end result is that /tmp (which is on rootfs) has 0 KB free as returned by df.
The workaround for this is to mount a small tmpfs filesystem as /tmp
# mount -t tmpfs -o size=5g tmpfs /tmp
I then ran into another issue where hpsum was looking for space on / (which is also rootfs).
Apparently the SPP/HPSUM has moved to a a linux RPM based format for delivering the packages (what happened to the good ‘ol .scexe ?).
The packages seem to either extra into a folder on / or into /tmp/HPSUM/localhost.
I couldn’t mount on top of / so I did some more digging.
I ran rpm -qlp on a few of the rpms and I found that they try to install to:
# mkdir /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
# mkdir /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
# mount -t tmpfs -o size=1g tmpfs /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
# mount -t tmpfs -o size=1g tmpfs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
I re-ran hpsum and everything started to work!
I did notice that HP may have changed some flags to hpsum. In previous versions most of the flags were like /romonly (with the forward slash). I think to differentiate between Windows/DOS-style and Linux-style command prompts, the Windows will use the slash and Linux will use “–“, I don’t think the change is being enforced though, I used the DOS-style flags just fine.
EDIT 7/1/2015: I have not been able to apply the SPP using the conventional method of attaching the ISO (both the auto and interactive method fail). The server ends up rebooting at a point in the deployment or hardware scan. I am also having issues with PXE booting on UEFI AND legacy (legacy worked before). I’m going to open a case or two tomorrow.